The Director of the University Center, Melissa Lane, has appointed a committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, named below, to build on the Center’s efforts in this area so far, and to advise the Center’s Executive Committee on how to carry out such efforts in increasingly rigorous and comprehensive ways. This advisory committee will work with members of the Center to draw up specific commitments and a plan of action that will be announced by the end of Fall semester 2021.
The committee’s work will take into account the identification of three types of strategies—for “democratizing opportunity,” “shifting narratives,” and “building capabilities”—as described in Imani Perry, More Beautiful and More Terrible: The Embrace and Transcendence of Racial Inequality in the United States (2011), a work which was the basis for a UCHV Community Discussion on Responding to Racism. The committee will consult in its work with Shawn Maxam, Senior Associate Director for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion in the Office of the Provost at Princeton.
Members of the UCHV Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for 2021-22:
• Edward Baring, Associate Professor of History and the University Center for Human Values
• Emily Greenwood, Professor of Classics and the University Center for Human Values
• Melissa Lane, Class of 1943 Professor of Politics, and Director, University Center for Human Values (ex officio)
• Tania Lombrozo, Arthur W. Marks ’19 Professor of Psychology, and Director, Program in Cognitive Science [on leave Spring 2022]
• Alan Patten, Howard Harrison and Gabrielle Snyder Beck Professor of Politics, and Chair, Department of Politics [on leave Spring 2022]
Contacts for comments, questions, or concerns about the UCHV efforts in regard to diversity, equity, and inclusion:
• Melissa Lane, Director, UCHV: email@example.com
Professor Lane as UCHV director is eager to receive concerns and suggestions regarding equity, climate, and inclusion in the University Center. To Zoom with her on these topics, members of the Princeton University community can schedule a meeting on WASE or reach out by email to schedule an alternative time to meet by Zoom or in person.
• Regin Davis, Assistant Director, UCHV: firstname.lastname@example.org
Valuable resources for the combating of systemic racism and other forms of discrimination and inequity, and for advancing the inclusiveness of the university climate, are available at http://inclusive.princeton.edu/. Anyone impacted by bias, discrimination, and/or harassment is encouraged to contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity to make a report and/or obtain assistance.